SPAN 131 SPAN131 Quiz 1 with Answers (PENN STATE)
SPAN 131 SPAN131 Quiz 1 Answer (PENN STATE)
- Which of these groups were a part of the collision of cultures in the New World in the 15th century that gave rise to the region that we know as Latin America?
- Which of the following is NOT one of the modern day components of the common process of conquest, colonization, resistance and accommodation that allows us to speak of the unity of Latin America?
- In Mexico, Central America, and the Andean regions (Ecuador, Peru, Bolivia), there are still large numbers of ____.
- Slaves brought from Africa had a profound effect on the ethnic make up and society in _____.
- In the 19th and 20th centuries, peoples from the Middle East and Asia began to emigrate to the Americas.
- The term “Latin America” appeared for the first time in ___.
- The most traditional definition of the term “Latin America” is a political one that includes 20 countries that gained their independence from Spain, Portugual, and France in the nineteenth century. The British West Indies, Guyana, Suriname, and Curaçao do NOT fit into this definition even though they were once part of the Spanish Empire.
- Even though Latin America obviously went through tremendous social, cultural, and political upheavals in the first centuries after the conquest by the Europeans, the author feels that what we know as Latin America is still evolving. That is, it is not a static, unchanging region but rather a dynamic, shifting, and expanding area.
- Which of these groups of cultures made up the unique cultural intersection in SPAIN in the centuries prior to the discovery of the New World?
- African slavery predates the discovery of the New World. In fact, the Europeans and Africans had traded in goods and slaves for at least a century prior to Columbus’s voyage. And the practice of slavery within the African continent itself goes back much, much further.
- Which of the following helped propel the Europeans out of Europe and into the vast world in search of gold, glory and also allowed them to spread the gospel?
- Approximately how many African slaves were brought to the New World?
- Millions of African slaves came to Brazil to do forced labor mainly because the Portuguese crown sought to protect the indigenous peoples of that country. In Spanish America, however, both indigenous peoples and African slaves were forced to work the mines, fields, etc. The Spanish monarchs did not see the indigenous as human beings worthy of protection.
- The military conquest of the core regions of Latin America was completed within a little more than a century.
- Which of these is NOT one of the syncretic* religions in the New World? (*Mixtures of Catholicism and African religions or Catholicism and Native American religions. Santería would be an example of this type of mixture.)
- The term for the offspring of Europeans and Africans was ___________.
- The term used to refer to Spaniards that were born in the New World was ____. These Spaniards were seen as inferior to their counterparts who were born in Spain and had comparatively very little power and prestige. This group increasingly saw themselves as not just Spaniards (or English or Portuguese)—they began to create a novel identity that was “American.”
- The battle between these two groups characterizes much of post-independence Latin America in the 19th century.
- ___________ were the 19th century group that looked back to Spain and Portugal for guidance after Latin America achieved independence from Spain. They hoped for a strong, centralized government, the continuing influence of the Catholic Church, and an unchanging social order.
- Mexico had 50 presidents, three foreign invasions, and lost half of its national territory between the 1820s and the 1870s.
- Liberals gained control of much of Latin America in ____. This period as called “the second conquest” in the text. During this time, the production of cash crops and the extraction of raw materials expanded and the construction of railroads, telegraph lines, roads, and the expansion of shipping opened up the vast interior of Latin America to immigration.
- Which of the following countries did NOT emerge as one of the most important foreign influences on Latin America after the region declared its independence from Spain and Portugal in the 19th century?
- The “cosmic race” refers to _________.
- Which of the following groups of countries experienced revolutions of importance in the 20th century?
- A South American counterpart to NAFTA is Mercosul (or Mercosur): Mercado Común del Sur. These are both examples of the recent trend in Latin America: namely, the creation of trading blocs through regional integration.
- Which of the following countries is NOT of overwhelmingly European descent?
- Put the following literary movements in chronological order (from 1-4).
- Which of the following options best reflects the procedure to follow if your internet service goes down while taking a quiz, or if your browser closes unexpectedly? [I am assuming here that it was a momentary shutdown and that service is restored relatively quickly.]
We Also Recommend
"Applying Skills Learned" Please respond to the following- From the e-Activity, explain what you learned about the Website you selected
(TCO 3) Managers are often required to make decisions about the future based