SOC 333 SOC333 Week 5 DQ 2 The Value of Research in Social Policy
SOC 333 Week 5 DQ 2 The Value of Research in Social Policy
The Value of Research in Social Policy. 1st Post Due by Day 3. While research can be interesting in regards to understanding social phenomena, it is also important that research results be used to positively impact positive outcomes in regards to the individuals involved, the societal problems considered, and the programs and policy related to these issues. This discussion presents a real world application of data and will help you understand the value of data on social policy outcomes.
Please watch Crime spotting: Joy of Stats (1/6) and in your initial post, address the following:
- How does the City of San Francisco currently use its crime data?
- How could the data be used by citizens to influence policy? Provide at least two community advocacy and
societal change ideas. Explain them and how they would help citizens.
- How could the data be used by the police service? Provide at least two forms of community outreach,
policing policy, or program creation, and explain how they would help the police and the citizenry.
- How could the data be used by social researchers? What does the data tell them about crime in San
- Are there wider applications for the data to support policy makers in San Francisco? Explain how.
- How has this example changed your thoughts about the use of research and data to support policy? Can
you provide another way research could be used to support policy creation or change?
Your initial post should be at least 250 words in length. Support your claims with examples from the required material(s) and/or other scholarly resources, and properly cite any references. Respond to at least two of your classmates’ posts by Day 7.