NU 2740 NU2740 Final Exam with Answers (ITT Tech University)
NU 2740 Mental Health Final Exam (ITT TECH)
Mental Health Final Outline
1. Do many nurses tend to be more comfortable with meeting physical needs than in focusing on emotional needs?
2. What is stigma in mental illness?
3. Do elderly patients sometimes show behaviors that look like mental illness, but may have difficulty hearing the nurses?
4. What is the coordinating role of the community psychiatric nurse case manager?
5. List different coping strategies patients are taught or they might have:
6. What allows the nurse to make culturally sensitive assessments and plan for care with patients?
7. Know nursing planning with a patient who has anergia and anhedonia.
8. Can children adapt to changes in the environment, take advantage of nurturing relationships with adults other than parents, and what is this called?
9. What are the side effects of H1 receptor blockade?
10. Is placement of picture an example of expression of cultural heritage and spirituality for a patient?
11. What behavior will you see in a patient lacking self-concept?
12. Research supports the use of special mental health courts that can sentence mentally ill persons to treatment instead of jail.
13. After establishing a therapeutic relationship, which initial intervention by the nurse therapist would be most therapeutic when talking to a husband and wife who are stressed and have insecurities?
14. Important teaching for a patient with bulimia nervosa.
15. Is it important to use limit setting using clear, sharp statements with adolescents who can cause harm?
16. During a multifamily support group, does asking others to share their experiences facilitate discussion of an issue?
17. When a patient is verbally abusive does it help to remain neutral and allow a cooling-down period for the nurse and the patient?
18. Are wandering, impulsivity, and impaired judgment significant issues in stage 3 Alzheimer’s disease, and how will you teach patient safety to family?
19. Which illegal drug will cause physical symptoms consistent with CNS stimulation? In addition, suspicion and paranoid ideation are present.
20. Can you call another nurse to document something you forgot?
21. How does the Assertive Community treatment team help patients?
22. Do abnormalities in dopamine receptors and transporters cause ADHD, and giving this information to parents, help them understand the possible biochemical causation, and not their parenting?
23. What will you see when a patient’s speech is loosely associated, confused, and disorganized? As the nurse, what will you do when they are behaving this way?
24. Side effect of lithium.
25. What causes hypokalemia?
26. What do you ask when a patient’s words suggest hopelessness?
27. Nursing diagnosis for a patient with mania and hyperactive.
28. Know your phases of anxiety.
29. What will you do with a patient to make them less needy, more secure, and less anxious?
30. Know your levels of suicide risk.
31. Many people try to protect the dying person from experiencing emotions, but as a nurse what should you tell them regarding crying?
32. Members of Hispanic-American subcultures tend to behave in which way with friends and family?
33. Should other patients urge a paranoid patient to strike anyone who stares at him, and if this happens what are nurses not doing to protect the patient?
34. What does Bibliotherapy do to help a pediatric patient, and where would you find this type of person?
35. What will you see in patients whose personality style causes them to externalize blame?
36. What do you teach a spouse who is abused, because she is dependent on the spouse, unemployed, and she has no support-system access. She is new in town and not connected to peers or community resources?
37. The nurse is collecting data, but you cannot get everything on the first interview can you draw a conclusion?
38. What do you do when patient states, “I always need an extra 30 minutes of sleep in the morning?”
39. What will you see in self-actualized persons?
40. What is verbal tracking?
41. PTSD patients need to avoid what?
42. Do schizophrenic patients have difficulty trusting others; withdraw into an inner world as a defense against uncomfortable levels of anxiety?
43. Can you accept gifts at discharge from a patient?
44. Does public tragedy cause grief within the community?
45. What rights should be discussed shortly after admission for a new patient?
46. How can you help a patient with chronic pain?
47. Alzheimer’s are prone to distractibility and wandering, how can you help the patient eat?
48. How can you assist a patient to decrease stress?
49. Should nurse use open-ended response and follow the patient’s lead?
50. What does it mean to be mentally healthy?
51. Know the difference between normal and maladaptive grieving?
52. The patient who is high on what often experiences synesthesia (visions in sound), depersonalization, and concerns about going “crazy.”
53. Neuroleptic malignant syndrome S/S
54. Do bipolar patients have to be maintained on lithium indefinitely, with daily doses?
55. Does therapeutic drawing help children express feelings?
56. Can nurses empower the patient to make decisions regarding visitation of family and friends?
57. Do persons with PTSD often experience somatic symptoms or sympathetic nervous system arousal that can be confusing and distressing?
58. What do recreational therapists do within mental health?
59. Do nurses encourage patients to tell their personal story of loss as many times as needed is acceptable and healthy?
60. ECT can cause what?
61. What is the DSM-IV-TR used for in mental health?
We Also Recommend
"Applying Skills Learned" Please respond to the following- From the e-Activity, explain what you learned about the Website you selected
(TCO 3) Managers are often required to make decisions about the future based