LIB 316 LIB316 Week 2 Assignment Orientalism and Heart of Darkness
LIB 316 Week 2 Assignment Orientalism and Heart of Darkness
Orientalism and Heart of Darkness. In Knowing the Oriental, Edward Said analyzes an attitude he calls “orientalism.” Then, in Rule of Darkness: British Literature and Imperialism, 1830-1914, Patrick Brantlinger applies this concept to the novel Heart of Darkness (see Chapters 6 and 9).
In two to three pages (excluding title and reference pages), discuss the application of orientalism to Conrad’s novel. First, explain in your own words what Said means by orientalism and why he finds it problematic. Then, apply this concept to Heart of Darkness. (If your instructor did not assign Heart of Darkness, you may have to rely on Brantlinger’s discussion of Heart of Darkness in Chapter 9 of his book.) In what ways does Conrad reflect the British attitude of orientalism toward Africa in Heart of Darkness and in what ways does he challenge such attitudes? Be sure to cite specific passages from the texts to support your interpretation.
Steps to Complete the Assignment:
- Read and take notes on “Knowing the Oriental” by Edward Said, reading for an understanding of what Said means by orientalism and why he finds it problematic. (What is orientalism? What is his critique of orientalism?)
- Locate Brantlinger’s book in the ebrary (Rule of Darkness: British Literature and Imperialism, 1830- 1914). Read chapters 6 and 9 to see how Brantlinger applies orientalism to Heart of Darkness.
- Next, discuss
- How Conrad reflects the British attitude of orientalism toward Africa in Heart of Darkness.
- How Conrad challenges this attitude.
- Cite page referenced examples from the primary text (Heart of Darkness) to support your discussion.
- Cite the secondary source as needed (Brantlinger).
- Use in-text and reference citations in APA style.
Additional Resources to Complete the Assignment:
a. Guidelines for Incorporating Quotes (https://awc.ashford.edu/cd-integrating-quotes.html)
- How to Write a Good Paragraph: A Step-by-step Guide (https://awc.ashford.edu/essay-dev-good- paragraph.html)
- In-Text Citation Guide (https://awc.ashford.edu/cd-in-text-citation-guide.html)
- Strong Body Paragraphs