HIS 101 HIS101 Midterm with Answers
HIS 101 HIS/101 HIS101 Midterm Study guide (AUBURN)
1. What is the species name of modern humans?
2. What is a hoplite?
3. What was the name of the pharaoh who was credited with setting a style for pyramid construction that lasted for centuries?
4. Which of the following technologies was NOT used by the earliest Western civilizations?
5. What was the most important long-term Roman contribution to Western civilization?
6. What common characteristic was shared by primal civilizations in Egypt, Sumer, China, and India?
7. Which of the five “Good Emperors” created a new province called Dacis, which became the modern nation of Romania?
8. How would you characterize the organization of societies and governments in the Old Kingdom in Egypt?
9. Brutus and Cassius thought that assassinating Caesar would restore the Republic. Instead it created
10. The Great Pyramid was built for which Egyptian pharaoh?
11. The “Invasion of the Sea Peoples” could also be described as
12. Who is considered to be the greatest lyric poet of the archaic period?
13. Which people founded Rome?
14. in 27 B.C.E., the Roman Senate acknowledged Octavian’s services to the republic by giving him which title?
15. Who seized the Macedonian throne after Philip II was murdered?
16. Which goods did the Egyptians import from the Minoans?
17. The first true city to arise in Mesopotamia, in the fourth millennium B.C.E. was
18. The main reason historians call the Greek Dark Ages “dark” is because
19. Which Greek island forms the southern boundary of the Aegean?
20. Which peoples brought Egypt’s Middle Kingdom to an end?
21. The most important influence on the individual under the Roman republic was
22. Which statement best describes the early Roman Republic?
23. The first true Greek civilization is known as
24. The Greek term for a city-state is
25. Among the Greeks, the Spartans had the best army, and the Athenians had
26. The Battle of Marathon took place during the
27. The Flavians represent
28. How did class affect Roman women’s rights?
29. Approximately what percentage of the Greek land could be worked by farmers?
30. Who financed the fleets that Sparta used to pursue Athen’s army?
31. Acclaimed as one of the last Greek tragedians, the author of a play about the Trojan War was
32. What impact did widespread use of iron have on the rise and fall of Near Eastern empires?
33. In which way did the Hippocratic tradition of medicine differ from ancient healing?
34. Which people sacked Babylon in 1595 B.C.E. and fought the Egyptians to a draw at Quadesh in 1286 B.C.E.?
35. The law code establishing a common standard of justice for all citizens in 451 B.C.E. was called the
36. Sparta’s chief ally and Athens’ major commercial competitor leading up to the Peloponnesian War was
37. Which common factor is true of both prehistoric cultures and early civilizations?
38. Which Greek philosophy most appealed to the Romans?
39. As an historical account, scholars considered the Bible to be
40. The founders of Rome and the Greek city-states settled their respective homelands around the same time (c. 1900 B.C.E.). Why was Rome so much slower to develop?
41. The Babylonian Empire was largely the work of its sixth king,
42. In what field did the Assyrians make the greatest contribution?
43. The Peloponnesian War began with a conflict between
44. The first farmers in Mesopotamia migrated into the area from
45. What is a demagogue?
46. How did the Israelites view themselves?
47. Which philosopher was the founder of the Stoics?
48. Why were goods transported primarily via ship throughout the Roman Empire?
49. Hammurabi’s Code, like Babylonian society, would best be described as
50. Under Roman law, slaves
We Also Recommend
"Applying Skills Learned" Please respond to the following- From the e-Activity, explain what you learned about the Website you selected
(TCO 3) Managers are often required to make decisions about the future based