FIN 3501 FIN3501 Week 4 Individual Work 2 Questions 2-5 and 8, and Problem 4 (Everest University)
FIN 3501 Week 4 Individual Work 2 Questions 2-5 and 8, and Problem 4 (Everest University)
2. Why can a closed-end investment company sell for a discount from net asset value but a mutual fund cannot sell for a discount?
3. What differentiates a real estate investment trust (REIT) from a firm involved in building, developing, and owning properties? What differentiates a mortgage trust from an equity trust? What advantages do REITs offer investors over direct investments in real estate properties?
4. Using the information on the taxation of REIT distributions, what was the tax status of recent annual distributions made by Plum Creek Timber (PCU), UDR Inc. (UDR), and Washington Real Estate Investment Trust (WRE)?
5. How do exchange-traded funds (ETFs) differ from mutual funds? Why may they be considered alternatives to index mutual funds?
8. Why are hedge funds and private equity funds of little interest to most investors?
4. The portfolio manager of a hedge fund believes that stock A is undervalued and stock B is overvalued. Currently their prices are $30 and $30, respectively. The portfolio manager of the fund buys 100 shares of A and sells 100 shares of B short.