ECE 205 ECE205 Week 4 Assignment Child Development Observation (Preschool, Early Elementary Age)
ECE 205 Week 4 Assignment Child Development Observation (Preschool, Early Elementary Age)
By completing this assignment, you will be meeting Weekly Learning Outcomes 1, 3, and 4.
Chapters 7 and 8 of the text Early child development: From theory to practice, describe the stages of physical, social-emotional, cognitive, and language development in preschool and early elementary age children, including the developmental milestones and major developmental domains. Use the textbook, in addition to the video provided with the instructions for this assignment as resources. This assignment supports your knowledge of child development stages, domains, and milestone, which you will use in your Week Five Final Paper.
Read Chapters 7 and 8 from your course text and view the video Draco’s transition to group time. As you watch the video, take notes about what you observe related to child development. Next, write your assignment to meet the following content and written communication expectations.
Content Expectations/Content Criteria
- Observation Summary (1 point): Summarize your observations from the video Draco’s Transition to Group Time.
- Developmental Stages and Domains (2.5 points): Based on your observations, explain the stage of development and domain the child is in, including (a) stage of physical and motor development, (b) stage of social-emotional development, (c) stage of self-help development, (d) stage of cognitive development, and (e) stage of language development.
- Typical Development (1.5 point): Explain the typical development you observed in Draco’s Transition to Group Time video, including any concerns with the development of the toddler in the video for the age of the child.
- Developmental Support Strategies (2 points): Based on your observation and your desired professional role, explain how you might support this stage with developmentally appropriate practices. In addition, explain what your environment might look like or include.
Written Communication Expectations
- Page Requirement (0.5 points): Two to three pages, excluding title and references pages.
- APA Formatting (0.5 points): Use APA 6th edition formatting, as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center,
consistently throughout the assignment.
- Syntax and Mechanics (0.5 points): Display meticulous comprehension and organization of syntax and
mechanics, such as spelling and grammar.
- Source Requirement (0.5 points): References the textbook and video resources for the assignment and at
least two additional scholarly sources to provide compelling evidence to support ideas. All sources on the references page need to be used and cited correctly within the body of the assignment.
Review and Submit the Assignment
Review your assignment with the Grading Rubric to be sure you have achieved the distinguished levels of performance for each criterion. Next, submit the assignment to the drop box for evaluation no later than Day 7.