CRJ 306 CRJ306 Week 4 Discussion 1 International Criminal Law
CRJ 306 Week 4 Discussion 1 International Criminal Law
International Criminal Law. 1st Post Due by Day 3. The United States has refused to join the International
Criminal Court since its inception. In your 300-word minimum primary response to this discussion board, expand upon the following:
- Describe the purpose and function of the International Criminal Court (ICC).
- Explain why the United States has not joined the ICC.
- Examine the pros and cons for the United States to be a member of the ICC.
- Construct an argument proposing the United States should join or continue to not be a part of the ICC and provide sound reasoning for your opinions.
- Explain the ramifications of the opinion that you advance to the United States and the international community.
The issue of the United States’ reluctance to join the ICC continues to be a matter of international debate. This week’s discussion requires you to take a position on whether or not the United States should formally join, and accept the jurisdiction of, the International Criminal Court. In this discussion, avoid notions of jingoism, and examine the international community and the responsibilities of the United States as an international actor in both civilian and military affairs. Make sure to explain the consequences of not joining or a decision to join the ICC.
Guided Response: Substantively respond to at least two of your classmates’ responses. Your responses must be at least 100 words in length, and you need to support your responses with scholarly sourcing, either from the required readings this week, or from independent research that you conduct in the Ashford University Library or online.