Case Study Director’s Request for PCs using MS Word Table
Case Study Instructions
Director’s Request for PCs
Completion of the Case Study will utilize (1) an MS Word Table, (2) an MS Access database, and (3) an MS PowerPoint Presentation
You will meet the Director’s requirements that are described on this page by creating and submitting a Word Table (Part 1), an Access Database (Part 2); and a PowerPoint Presentation (Part 3). These 3 assignments are due on separate dates. See the Course Schedule for due dates.
NOTE: the standard applications to use for these 3 assignments are those within Microsoft Office. MS Access is available only in the Professional OFFICE package. If you are a MAC user OR if you have absolutely no way to use a machine on which MS Access has been loaded, you may download and use OpenOffice/Open Libre – for the database project only. Please inform your instructor if you are going to use Open Office for the database assignment.
Instructions for installing Open Office can be found in "Open Office – Database Alternative for Mac OS X" under the Office Resources topic located under the main Content tab on the top navigation bar.
Case Study – Director’s Requirements
Your office has outgrown its old desktop machines and is in the market for new PCs, but would like some guidance on what to purchase. The Director wants to ensure that the office obtains PC machines that meet the requirements stated below. You, as an employee of a small educational company, have been tasked to buy 5 PCs and associated equipment for the office. You only need to determine the specifications for ONE PC, not five. The office will likely buy five of the same computer model/configurations you propose.
The Director has defined some capabilities that the PCs will need to have to ensure optimal performance. These tasks and system needs are collectively the office’s requirements. The requirements are as follows:
1. Create documents, spreadsheets, presentations, and send and receive email.
2. Participate in online video conferences, web courses and forums (the Director is a part-time professor at a local university).
3. Create and edit audio and video files and share video and audio files via emails, instant messaging, and in chat rooms via mobile devices.
4. Create small databases to manage all audio, video and photo data.
5. Take high quality digital photos and videosand download them to the PC as well as scan and edit the photos and videos. Manipulate/edit various image and video formats (in the relevant table, please specify at least two image and two video formats that can be accommodated by your solution(s)). .
6. Print documents to include photo quality color printing.
7. Manipulate pdf files, including editing pdfs, conversion from pdf to Word and vice versa.
8. Transfer information (audio, video and photos) between PC machines.
9. Manage the Director’s schedule by using an online calendar and day planner.
10. Utilize the internet to make online purchases, conduct banking services and research new audio, video and photo editing methods using a broadband service (in the relevant table, please specify service provider).
11. Connect all required peripheral devices you deem necessary to the system unit.
12. Protect the PC and all components from dirty electrical power including under voltage (brownout or blackout) and overvoltage (power surge or spike).
13. Manage and protect the system, data, and information while working on the Internet including scanning all incoming emails, email attachments, and files downloaded from Web-based sources; firewall, virus and spyware (security) protection; and checking websites for phishing and fraudulent activities.
Your specification must address each of the 13 items listed in the requirements.
We Also Recommend
"Applying Skills Learned" Please respond to the following- From the e-Activity, explain what you learned about the Website you selected
(TCO 3) Managers are often required to make decisions about the future based