BIOL102/BIOL103 Microevolution Quiz Answers (UMUC)
BIOL102/BIOL103 Microevolution Quiz
- A population of pond snails has two genetically determined types: one with a black stripe on its shell and one with a plain brown shell. Evidence indicates that there is absolutely no difference between the two snail types in terms of their fitness: each type survives, grows, and mates with the same average level of success. Over time, black-striped snails become more or less common in a population due to chance events. At one point, for example, the pond nearly dries up and the few surviving snails happen to be mostly black-striped. This evolutionary change is the result of…
- can occur only if there are two or more separate gene pools that are exchanging individuals (through migration) or genes.
- A storm uproots 60% of the trees in a population. This is an example of:
- The sickle cell allele is more likely to have higher prevalence in populations where:
- Each year a gardener saves seeds from those tomato plants that produce the juiciest fruits. She uses these seeds to plant the next year’s crop of 20 plants. Over time, the gardener develops her own special variety of very juicy tomatoes. This is best described as an example of…
- Which gene pool has changed through some process of microevolution?
- What sorts of effects do new mutations have on the individuals that inherit them?
- Modern HIV therapy controls HIV infection through what strategy?
- Humans are the only primate species in which mammary glands (breasts) remain large and prominent throughout adulthood. Other primates’ mammary glands swell only when they are nursing offspring; scientists are not sure why human females have noticeable breasts on a permanent basis. One hypothesis is that they increase a female’s ability to attract mates. If so, this would be an example of a trait favored by…
We Also Recommend
"Applying Skills Learned" Please respond to the following- From the e-Activity, explain what you learned about the Website you selected
(TCO 3) Managers are often required to make decisions about the future based